Guard Your Heart (2285)
Scripture reveals there is only one way to control your thought life, and that is to guard your heart. Psalm 119: 9-16 says, “Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed thereto according to Thy Word. With my whole heart have I sought Thee: O let me not wander from Thy commandments. Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against Thee. Blessed art Thou, O Lord: teach me Thy statutes. With my lips have I declared all judgments of Thy mouth. I have rejoiced in the way of Thy testimonies, as much as in all riches. I will meditate in Thy precepts, and have respect unto Thy ways. I will delight myself in Thy statutes: I will not forget Thy Word.”
There are seven steps listed in this passage to help control your thought life.
1. Purification: get perfectly clean. No matter how vile your thought life has been, 1 John 1:9 says, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
2. Determination: determine to stay clean. You cannot guard your heart, half-heartedly. Adrian Rogers says, “God does business with those who mean business.”
3. Fortification: fortify yourself with the Word of God. Replace what you’ve refused and repented of with Scripture. Guard your thoughts as instructed in Phillippians 4:8, dwelling only on what is reliant, respectful, right, reverent, relational and refined.
4. Vitalization: ask God to teach you. If you would be so bold to pray for it, the Holy Spirit will make the living, active Word of God real to you.
5. Verbalization: keep the word of God on your lips. Tell others the Word of God; discuss it among brothers and sisters in Christ.
6. Evaluation: remember your true riches. There has to be an evaluation—a choice. Adrian Rogers says, “A mind that feeds on trash is a mind that is hungry without a sense of shame.” Choose satisfaction of the Lord Jesus Christ.
7. Mediation: maintain constant communion with the Lord. There are three elements in meditation: time, quietness and concentration. If you will spend time meditating on the Word of God, it will do wonderful things for your thought life.
Apply it to your life
Get your heart clean before God and guard it with your life, so that you may protect your home.